Since forming west+machell in 1990, Robin has developed an expertise in housing, urban renewal, health and care projects. He understands the need and drivers for both the delivery and management of housing in the social and private sector and this contributes to the continuing success of the practice.
Working with over 20 RP’s and a range of national housing providers Robin has developed a range of skills in the field of housing and urban renewal with projects ranging from simple refurbishments through to the delivery of masterplans.
- Works nationally in the field of Extra Care Housing for a range of public and private providers and is a member of the Housing LIN.
- Appointed board member, Leeds Federated Housing Association 2014.
- Independent board member and Chair of the capital programme for East Leeds Homes, one of the early ALMOs.
- Member of the RIBA Housing Group and an Invited member of Leeds City Council Major Plans Panel.
- Invited RIBA Awards Chair and Assessor 2009, 2010, and 2014.
- Appointed a CABE Enabler in 2008 and amongst other roles acted as Critical Friend to the Sheffield Housing Company at its formation and prepared a national review of all Round 6 Housing PFI schemes and made observations as to their viability.
- Current member of the Yorkshire Design Review Service Panel and the Barnsley Urban Renaissance Design Advisory Panel.
- Elected member of the Academy of Urbanism 2010.
- Elected fellow of the RIBA 2016.
- Elected fellow of the RSA 2018.
- Visiting Professor, Leeds University Faculty of Engineering 2018.
Robin understands a range of funding regimes; which may inform thinking around housing supply such as PFI, LIFT, DoH and HCA funding as well as the issues and expectations of private and institutional funders.
I have the ability to admit I am wrong; Frequently, but I generally never loose my enthusiasm for any project I am involved in.